The Mono Basin Historical Society

presents the

Mono Basin History Museum/Old Schoolhouse

and the

Upside-Down House

Mono Basin Historical Society, PO Box 31, Lee Vining, CA 93541

760 647-6461, EMAIL curator@monobasinhs.org or to the President of the Historical Society



On Mattly Avenue, adjacent to Hess Park, in Lee Vining (behind the CalTrans yard)

THE MUSEUM IS OPEN FROM MID-MAY THROUGH EARLY OCTOBER

HOURS: 10 to 4 PM; Sundays 12 to 4; closed Wenesdays



Donations and membership dues keep our doors open and help us maintain exhibits.

Suggested donation when visiting the museum: $2/adult (persons over 13).

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!



Located in Mono Lake's Old Schoolhouse, this museum displays both the commonplace and delightfully odd artifacts, photographs, books, maps and equipment chronicling the cultural history of the Mono Basin. Outside exhibits feature Nellie Bly's legendary Upside-Down House, along with farming and mining equipment. Inside the museum see Native American artifacts, gold mining implements and the wheel of the Venita, the Tour Boat that operated on Mono Lake in the 1930s.

History of the Upside-Down House

The Upside-Down House was created by Nellie Bly O'Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur, and long time resident of the Mono Basin. Originally located along US-395 north of the Tioga Lodge, it was inspired by two children's stories—“Upside Down Land” and “The Upsidedownians.” Upon her death in 1984, the Upside-Down House fell into disrepair until it was rescued and moved to its current site in October 2000. The house became Mono County's first man-made” tourist attraction in 1956.

In 2009, Huell Howser's California Gold television series shown on PBS channels featured the Upside-Down House in a show titled “Places I've Wanted to Go.” Visit www.calgold.com to order a dvd.





The 11th ANNUAL GHOSTS OF THE SAGEBRUSH TOUR

August 22 and 23, 2014:

Paiute, Prospector, Pioneer

The 19th Century in the Mono Basin



FRIDAY, August 22, DINNER at the Lee Vining Community Center

catered by Linda Dore $25 (advance tickets required)

Program: A Visit from John Muir! (Don Baldwin)

RAFFLE



SATURDAY, August 23 TOUR $25

BUY TICKETS HERE THROUGH PAYPAL. TOUR AND DINNER REQUIRE SEPARATE TICKET PURCHASES

Meet at the Old Schoolhouse Museum on Mattly Avenue

Keynote Speaker: Thomas Fletcher, Author of Paiute, Prospector, Pioneer

Tour historic sites in the Mono Basin with historians, authors, and old-timers

Young Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain (Jesse Steele) visited Mono Lake in the 1860s and will join us for lunch at Dechambeau Ranch!





A SMOKE-FREE EVENT

sponsored by Mono Co. and California Public Health Departments – Tobacco Tax of 1988.

MonoCounty.org 800-845-7922







The Mono Basin Historical Society is on Facebook: click to link to our page



BECOME A MEMBER OF THE

MONO BASIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Annual Dues (deductible as a charitable donation):

General $25

Family $50

Sustaining $50

Business/Organization $75

Lifetime Membership $250

Patron (lifetime membership) $500



Please send a check with your name, address, and email (if applicable); we promise not to pass it to others):

Mono Basin Historical Society, PO Box 31, Lee Vining, CA 93541

(760) 647-6461, EMAIL curator@monobasinhs.org or to

the president of the Historical Society



last updated April 15, 2014


hit counter